Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Wellness....


* * * * *

100 years ago, my Mother took me to the Doctor
to have a planter's wart removed from my foot.
The numbing needle did me in!
My mother reminded me for weeks
that people across town could hear me scream -
never mind the horrified people in the waiting room.

My point?

Today was Wellness Visit and heartworm testing
for Lia and Zoe at their Vet's office.
Compliments galore about their behavior...
...how NICE they both were.

Their Veterinarian, Dr. Kelly Flannigan,
examined both of them.
Lia needs to drop a few pounds;
Zoe's teeth need cleaned...
Otherwise = good health - good dogs!

Perfect.

Now: one at a time: go to the back of the clinic
with Danita, the vet tech for
blood draw, bordetella and oh, ya...
...how about a nail clip? Yes.
Lia first.
Zoe waits:

All of a sudden - from the "back of the clinic"
comes yelping so loud it's scary!
Some dog is REALLY hurting....REALLY UPSET.
Zoe runs to the door as if she'll hear it better.
Again: "YELP.....YELP-YELP! ! !"

Dr. Bloom (owner) sticks his head in our room.
Oh, God...I know exactly what has just happened.
"Um...is that Lia screaming so loud?" I ask timidly.
"Yep", says he.
I am my mother of years ago
and I am embarrassed and humiliated. oh. my. God.

"No no"...he continues
"I see where people can touch dogs' feet, but the
minute you go for their nails, they cry - and it doesn't
hurt them like it doesn't hurt when we clip our nails".

Now I feel even WORSE!
Lia is used for TEMPERAMENT testing at doggie daycare
and she screaming over something that doesn't hurt?

* * *

Zoe - awaiting Lia

Zoe - looking to me for a promise that
whomever is making Lia scream,
will NOT be permitted to touch her...



Danita - sweating - returning
the (innocent) screamer - (who, me?)


Lia awaiting Zoe

Lia still awaiting Zoe -
no screaming coming from the 'Princess'
hmmmm


Smiling Doctor - a sign of a great Vet after what
Lia just put her through!

Dr. Flannigan with Lia and Zoe

Carrie (left) and Marci (right)

Two Thoughts:

1. This is not an advertisement - just know we are grateful to the people of Bloom Animal Hospital for their patience and love of animals

and

2. Ok, Mother. I get it and we're even. Happy now?

* * * * *